In addition to the generally accepted road rules, experienced motorists also know a lot of tricks for convenient and understandable daily communication. Silent rules of etiquette have existed for years, and their knowledge allows them to quickly navigate in this or that situation.
- Flashing oncoming high beam. The single blinking of the car that is driving on the oncoming lane means that there is the obstacle ahead. These can be repair works or accidents. It is better to reduce speed and focus on the road. The double signal indicates approaching of the dangerous area. A single, but a long one can indicate that you blind the drivers on the oncoming lane or that you have defective headlights.
- Flashing high beam behind of your car. If the driver repeatedly signals with the driving beam, he most likely asks to give him a way. If possible, turn right and turn to the side. If not, leave the right turn blinking. This means that you agree to give way as soon as it becomes possible for you.
- Right Turn. If you plan to overtake a large car, like a truck, and you see the right turn signal on it, then its driver informs you that the road is free to maneuver and he is ready to let you overtake him by reducing the speed.
- Left turn. If being in the same situation, the truck driver signals you with a left turn signal, then there is an obstacle on your way. Do not hurry up and wait for the next signal, especially when the visibility is quite limited.
- Alarm signal. Flashing emergency light is one of the main and universal signs on the road. It indicates not only the emergency stop but also the braking when being blinded. A brief blink is used to express gratitude to another driver for a clean road or as an apology after an awkward maneuver.
- Switching headlights. If the driver on the oncoming lane switches the high beam lights onto the low beam lights, then he most likely wants to show that you have blinded him. Switch the driving beam to the low beam if you see another car in the distance at night or if the car behind you overtakes you. It will also help to avoid dazzle.
- Gestures. Signal gestures are less commonly used, but they also exist. For example, pointing your hand to the roadside is a sign of a noticeable malfunction of the vehicle. And the circle described by the hand speaks of a deflated wheel. Hand raised to the windshield thanks to the oncoming car or the driver in front, who will not see the alarm. If the driver is standing near the open bonnet with his arm raised, he needs help. And if he points to the sidelines with his thumb down, he probably has run out of fuel.
- Sounds. Strangely enough, audio signals are used on the road less often than switching headlights. A short beep means gratitude, a longer beep is warning, and a long and repeated one is frustration. This is easy to remember if you pay close attention to other car drivers while driving.
It is clear how to behave at the wheel. But what to do if your own car is temporarily unavailable for some reasons? We have a solution! If you want to finally forget about transportation problems, rent a car in Lviv! Ukr-Prokat offers a large fleet of vehicles, flexible conditions and good prices.