The greatest drivers’ fear before any long trip is that in the middle of the road the car will break down. It is impossible to prevent all situations in advance, but you can minimize the risk if you are prepared.
Before planning your trip, please check the following things:
- Fluids. Technical fluids are those things which are rather easy to overlook. Check the level of the coolant and brake fluid as well as oil in the engine. For automatic gearboxes, choose only fluids that are of high quality. If there is any doubt about their freshness, it is better to replace them, otherwise even a couple of hundred kilometers above the norm can cause the car to breakdown or lead to a total vehicle check up. Also check the fluid in the washer tank and replace it with antifreeze in winter. In the summer, check the pressure in the air conditioner and, if necessary, fill it with freon.
- Wheels. First of all, it is the condition and pressure in car tires. While doing it, please consider the features of the route. For example, if you plan to ride on an evenly good route, the pressure can be slightly raised. It will become easier to control the car in that way and reduce the consumption of car fuel. Car makers do not recommend going on a very long routes if the residual tread depth is less than 3 mm. Additionally, it is worth checking the wheel balance. Any deviations may affect the running performance of the car, patrol consumption and safety in general.
- Brake system. Its proper functioning directly affects the road safety and it is not only yours. If you are planning a long trip or know that the quality of the road is not good enough or you are going to go through mountainous land, change the pad with 50% wear. Be sure to check the handbrake as well.
- Generator. If you have a car with a high mileage, check the generator. If the battery runs out of power and cannot be fully charged, the engine will break down. The most common problem is the weakening or wear off of the generator belt.
- Security and signaling systems. Be sure to check the safety belts and airbags. Headlights, taillights, turn signals and sound signal must be in a good working condition. Pay attention to the accuracy and proper work of the measuring devices. Optics should be clean too.
- Air filters. It’s not as critical as wheels or brake pads, but by replacing fuel and air filters, it can significantly reduce petrol consumption. And the car will run much faster.
- Driver’s set. Before the trip, be sure to check the contents of the first aid kit, toolbox, fire extinguisher, cable, flashlight, pump, emergency stop sign. It’s best to bring extra chargers, lamps, replacement batteries, and crocodile clips with you. Make sure that you have a spare wheel, especially if the car has been used for a long time.
- Winter outfit. During winter trips, complete the standard set with a shovel, a scraper brush, several fleece blankets, wool socks, a variety of heaters and defrosters, and an extra battery inverter.
And if you do not want to worry about the technical condition and equipment of the car before traveling or business trip, you can always rent a car in Kyiv. Every model in the Ukr-Prokat fleet has regular auto check-ups, so you don’t have to spend time on it.